Arianna Huffington says, “Everything you do, you’ll do better with a good night’s sleep.
Most of you know that when you don’t sleep well and gain the restoration you need, you simply don’t function at your best — physically, mentally and emotionally.
You will spend approximately one-third of your entire life sleeping, allowing your body to restore itself, so it makes sense to pay attention to your sleep health and rituals.
According to a study conducted by the National Sleep Foundation, adults 26-64 years old optimally need between 7 and 9 hours of sleep.
Creating a sleep ritual can help with the quality of your sleep. The following tips are generally good for everyone:
- Be consistent, going to bed and waking up at the same time every day, including the weekends.
- Turn off all screens at least one hour before bed.
- Keep the room cool, between 60 and 67 degrees.
- Stop eating 2-3 hours before bed.
- Stop drinking caffeine by 3 p.m. every day.
You may also incorporate:
- Light yoga
- Deep breathing
- Guided sleep meditation
- Any other ritual that prepares you for a good night’s sleep
- Start going to bed and waking up at the same time every day.
- Turn down the thermostat to 60-67 degrees.
- Take a few deeps breaths once the lights are out.
- Experiment with incorporating the other suggestions or incorporating your own rituals to create the most optimal sleep rituals for you.