“The journey of one thousand miles begins with one step.” — Lao Tzu, father of Taoism
At some point, often between 35 and 40 years old, give or take, you’ll have a moment where you ask, “Is this all there is?”
This single question may be unsettling, as it can illuminate the parts of your life that are disharmonious and are making you unhappy. However, if you use it as a catalyst for examining your life and catapulting you to making necessary changes to create more health and fulfillment physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually, you’ll be well on your way to cultivating and sustaining your best and healthiest life.
Where you are in your life is a sum of the choices you’ve made up until this very moment. If you change your choices, you will change your life.
To do that, it is important to increase your awareness and honestly assess where you are in this moment of your life.
So, where are you?
The first step on any journey towards change is to, as nonjudgmentally and compassionately as possible, reflect upon and notice what’s currently happening in your life.
Ask yourself these questions:
- What do you think might lie at the root of your current state?
- Examine lifestyle habits related to your stress level, nutrition, hydration, sleep and/or movement. (Check out Stress Well and Feel Well.)
- Consider the existence of physical pain, diagnosed conditions and overall health. (Check out Feel Well.)
- Are you spiritually nourished? (Check out Soul Well.)
- Do you feel emotionally well? (Check out Mind Well.)
- Do you have money issues, a budget, retirement savings? (Check out Mindful Money and Legacy.)
- Do you have any legacy documents such as a will, trust, power of attorney, health care directive, etc.? (Check out Mindful Money and Legacy.)
- Are you satisfied in your professional career? (Check out Work Well.)
- Where would you like to be optimally? Through evaluating your current state, what did you uncover that you would like to change?
- What do you think you need to do to make changes towards your best life?
- Which changes are realistically possible?
- Do you need outside support or help (e.g., a physician, psychologist, medical professional, financial advisor, etc.)?
- What is one small action you can take within the next 72 hours to make a shift towards creating your best and healthiest life?
Get out pen and paper or open an electronic document, and then honestly answer the questions and brainstorm possible solutions. Write whatever comes to mind—you can sort it out later. I’m happy to help you with the assessment and questions; I suggest a single session. Once you have a clearer idea of where you are and where you want to go on your journey, make you a priority.
*If you’re contemplating major changes—job/career, relationship/s, health, etc.—please seek the appropriate professional help.